Livelihoods Improvement Programme Through Management Of NTFP’s’ In Partnership With The Mangrove Foundation- Luxemburg.
The main reasons for above problem:
- They are being cheated by local traders on weights and measures.
- Practice of barter system.
- Lack of skills on value addition of their products.
To improve food security of above indigenous women, the Holy cross Organization has been implementing Livelihoods improvement programme.
Objectives of the project:
- Promotion of positive self esteem among the poor indigenous women and build groups to develop a collective voice.
- Provide required trainings on value addition and processing of NTFP’s.
- Ensure improved sustainable forest governance.
The strategies of the project:
- Formation of NTFP’s collectors committees, bringing indigenous women in to groups, making them better able to negotiate with buyers, demand their rights to a fair price. They will be trained on improved forest management principals.
- Training on business skills and fair trade, as well as proper NTFP processing to add value (cleaning, grading, drying, processing, packing and branding).